Thursday, June 14, 2012

Eco Revamp of a Dresser

(Photo: Cleaned and ready to paint dresser with mirror)
     
I'm working with one of the many pieces of furniture I have in stock.  I have a dresser with mirror that has feminine lines to it.   It was obvious by all the fun little stickers, color markers and crayons all over the piece that it belonged to a child.

So now that I have removed all the stickers, cleaned the piece with a solution of baking soda and vinegar and replaced old nails to ensure the piece is sturdy it is now ready to be painted.

One thing that I look for in older pieces is good bones and good lines.  I don’t make myself to crazy over a lot of dents or dings, after all it is a recycled piece and that is the charm after giving it a good cleaning and giving it a new coat of paint and adding decorative painted detail.   

(Photo: My favorite getting ready to paint the piece)
In the case of this piece I will be creating texture with the painting process, mottling, faux finishes to create depth before sketching and transferring the design unto the piece.  I decided for this piece I would be painting poppies and include a few butterfly’s and will be working with a soft palette of colors.
The drawers to the dresser were badly marked with color markers and I plan to either put some decorative handmade paper inside or Eco felt to finish it off. 

Please contact me by phone at 1-866-321-0498 or email at maggiemillerhandpainted@gmail.com if I can help you with any of your pieces, don't want a full blown decorative painting job on it?  I can clean your piece and give it an Eco refinishing coat to it.  I look forward to hearing from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment