Thursday, October 10, 2013

BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUFFLE



I have been out of commission as of late, thinking about what I will be doing with my blog, laying my concerns and worries before God, looking for his direction and guidance. So, I have decided to start working on a new website and moving my blog over to word-press in the next coming months with a new look and content that is representative of my Faith and Artful Life.

In the meantime I will continue to post here and share a new post everyday about a different aspect of my life.  Today is Thursday, on Thursdays I will share with you my gluten free life style, share recipes and information on gluten free living.

Gluten Free living for me is not a fad or a quick fix diet to lose weight.  I have a serious allergic reaction to  anything that contains gluten.  Reactions can be anything from  breaking out in terrible skin rashes, headaches to aches,pain and swelling of my joints.   When I get a bit rebellious and get off of my dietary plan I pay the consequences for it. Note to self don't do this  Mag.   

One of the things I love to eat is butternut squash. I love roasting it, making soup and making souffles to name a few. Here is a recipe for my butternut squash souffle  I had a week ago and can't wait to make it again.

Here is what you will need to make this souffle.

2 cups cooked,mashed butternut squash
3 tablespoon butter softened.  I use Kerry Butter.
1 cup sugar,  I use pure stevia liquid, or xyitol because I avoid white granulated sugar.  You can substitute this for whatever sugar you like if you are not really following a low or no sugar diet.  Note this all natural substitutes tend to be sweeter so you need to measure correctly.  I only put a few drops of the stevia about 2-3 d depending on how sweet I want it.
1/3 cup milk I use unsweetened coconut or almond milk
1/2 teaspoon salt - I use sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract.

Cutting your squash is a bit of an adventure.  I use a potato peeler to peel off the outer skin I cut length wise, using a spoon I scoop out the seeds and fiber.  I usually steam or bake to keep all the nutrients in since boiling releases a great deal of the important vitamins, but you can boil it if you like.  I cut the squash into small easy to handle pieces and place it in my steamer for about 20 mints or until tender.



Heat your oven to 325 degrees.  Grease a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish. Now combine all the ingredients listed into a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer or with a spoon if you want to get a little work out in.  Mix until all is thoroughly combined and pour the mixture into the casserole dish and bake for 75 minutes or until set.    This serves about 6-8 people.   

Some garnishing ideas:  You can use some walnuts or pumpkin seeds for garnish and a nice crunch factor.  Give them a rough chop and sprinkle over your finished casserole.   My casserole was accompanied with  rosemary buttered baked chicken and a variety of green vegetables.  

We always like to give Thanks for the bounty he provides us in our day and especially for our meal to sustain us.  Here is prayer of thankfulness you may like to say before you meal tonight.  

We give our thanks
For food that sustains us
For rest that brings us ease,
For homes where memories linger,
We give our thanks for these.


I hope you enjoy.  Let me know how yours came out, I would really like to know.



No comments:

Post a Comment